The Brooks Aqueduct
The CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) built this reinforced concrete aqueduct between 1912 and 1914. It was part of a large irrigation scheme using water diverted from the Bow River to transform 55,000 hectares east of Brooks from semi-arid rangeland to farmland suitable for settlement. A major engineering feat over 3.1 kilometres long, the aqueduct featured a catenary-shaped flume mounted on 1.030 columns, and an inverted syphon under the CPR main line. In 1935, the Brooks Aqueduct was turned over to the Eastern Irrigation District. With the completion of a larger replacement canal the aqueduct was abandoned in 1979.